Wednesday, July 9, 2008

KWONG I


Kwong is a very deep and thoughtful Panda Puppet, found at the San Diego Zoo in 1997 when there was a new panda cub on exhibit (and there is nothing in the world as cute as a baby Panda). I bought him and tried waving at the other visitors to the Zoo that day, and then decided the world is divided into two types of people: those who will wave back at a panda puppet and those who will not. Age is not the determinant. Outlook is.

He is named after my favorite doctor, renowned allergist Frank Kwong, who was born in Hong Kong. Because I felt the puppet also possessed healing qualities, I took him to New York to attend to my mother when she became ill. He was particularly fond of the Calvin Klein bamboo sheets on her bed, and enjoyed watching cooking shows with her (Chinese food a favorite, of course).

Alas, there is just so much a puppet can do, and I recently retrieved him and took him back to Los Angeles, where there is a Kwong II, in hopes that two Kwongs can make things right.

No comments: