Monday, November 10, 2008

A TIDBIT OF TRUTH


















The best liars, the most accomplished liars, are the ones who mention one thing that is true, so that it will make the rest of their tall tales appear more reasonable.

"I didn't want to do it," Grandma continued, "I didn't want to, because I knew it would lead to trouble. She made me write a letter saying that the house was really hers, and that I was just protecting it for her."

"She did? Where is this letter?" asked Vaden.

"I destroyed the original. I'm afraid she may have a copy. I sent her one without a signature."

"It's better if there's no letter. But if it has no signature, you're fine," advised Vaden. "As long as it's in your name, you can sell her house and take the money and you owe her nothing."

"But I want it to appear I'm still her sweet old Grandma and keep getting her baskets filled with goodies." Grandma thought fondly of her visits from Little Red Riding Hood. "She's such a pretty little child--darn her!" Grandma thought a moment. She thought about how Little Red Riding Hood had always been everyone's favorite, she thought about how she had been, when she was young.

Vaden interrupted her reverie. "You can also pay someone to bring you even bigger baskets of goodies after you sell her house. Would your other Grandchild help?"

No comments: